Thursday, October 1, 2015

Wind Dancer

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” - Kahlil Gibran, Lebanese-American writer

original palette knife oil painting by Georgia artist Joan Terrell Joan Terrill
Wind Dancer by Joan Terrell
An original oil painting on
6" x 6" museum quality panel
A plein air palette knife painting
© 2015 Joan T. Terrell
Contact Burton Gallery (706-947-1351) to purchase
More paintings available at: http://www.joanterrell.com

On this day, my car's a/c was at 12 degrees below zero on the "Nanook of the North" setting. As I stepped to the back of my car to heft out my plein air supplies, my glasses fogged up and I felt something on my skin like a spontaneous dew. Of course, us southern girls don't sweat, we glow and oh boy, was it ever going to be a full-on glow day. While setting up, I heard the delighted squeals of children running in and out of the flowers, chased by moms with cameras. "Good luck," I thought.
original palette knife oil painting by Georgia artist Joan Terrell Joan Terrill
Sometimes I wonder if lugging art supplies outside and painting en plein air (a French expression for "in the open air") is worth it. Just watching the people, bees, and butterflies interacting with the tall stalks reminded me. Yes.
Joan

No comments: